We’re so glad that you’ve decided to get involved in the Children’s and Youth Ministry of DCC! We believe it is a great honor and responsibility to work the children and youth God has placed before us.
It’s for this reason that we want to be sure you are well equipped and that we have the appropriate people in these important positions.
To that end, we ask that you read the basic guidelines below and provide the information necessary to run a comprehensive background check and a reference follow up.
General Guidelines for working with Children and Youth
- Do not transport or spend time with a child or youth of the opposite gender alone.
- If having a private conversation with a child or youth, do so in a semi-public space where you can be seen, but not heard.
- All children and youth must have parental consent to attend an off-site event. Parental consent can be given online through the church website.
- Do not leave children or youth alone unsupervised. Please plan to arrive at least 10 minutes before the start of your committed time and stay until all children or youth have been picked up.
- When working with children and youth you are a mandated reporter of child abuse at all times. (Even in circumstances outside your church ministry)
- Report abuse to the ministry team leader if you see or hear any of the following:
- The observation of abuse.
- The observation of possible symptoms of abuse.
- When information is received regarding an allegation of abuse.
- Do not discuss issues of abuse with anyone other than the ministry team leader, elders, or ministers.
- High fives and fist bumps are awesome, but other physical contact is discouraged.
- Do not engage in any humor that could be considered off color, rude, or negative.
Statement of Beliefs
Here at Duplain, we believe that it is important that every person working with children or youth adequately represent the beliefs of DCC. Please read these statements of beliefs below and sign at the bottom that you agree with these statements. If for some reason you do not agree with one or more of these statements, please indicate that and we will follow up later.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God who died for our sins and arose from the dead.
- We believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God – “a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path.”
- We believe that every person has been created in the image of God, but that “all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.”
- We believe that forgiveness of sins and promise of eternal life are available to those who accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
- We believe that those who accept Jesus Christ must repent of their sin, confess their faith in Him and be baptized by immersion into Him for the forgiveness of sin and receiving of the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that the Church is the body of Christ on Earth and exists to save the lost and edify the saved.
- We believe that Jesus Christ will one day return to Earth to claim His Church and bring judgment for sin.
- We believe the weekly observance and participation of the Lord’s Supper (communion) is a priority of worship to remember Christ and His sacrifice.